Dubai switches on its first solar plant, with promise of more to come


Aptly built by American solar company First Solar, Dubai’s first ever solar PV plant was switched on this week amid an atmosphere of rising appetite for renewable energy in the Middle East.

The 13 MW, $35 million PV plant is the first to be built in the United Arab Emirates, and has become the largest solar power installation anywhere in the Middle East and North Africa.

"This is the first part of Dubai’s plan to develop a solar park with 1,000 MW of power by 2030," said the CEO of Dubai Electricity & Water Authority (DEWA), Saeed Al Tayer.

DEWA’s next solar project is a 100 MW PV plant, in which it will hold a 51% stake and invite bids for private companies to fund the remaining 49%. This projected plant is expected to cost approximately $215 million and will be completed within three yeas, according to Al Tayer.

These plans are part of the state-owned utility’s proposal to reduce its reliance on fossil fuels – namely natural gas – while meeting Dubai’s 5% annual growth in power demand with renewable energy.

By 2030, Dubai hopes to source 5% of its power from renewable sources, 12% from coal, 12% from neighbouring nuclear reactors and 71% from natural gas.

Popular content

This content is protected by copyright and may not be reused. If you want to cooperate with us and would like to reuse some of our content, please contact:


Related content

Elsewhere on pv magazine...

Leave a Reply

Please be mindful of our community standards.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By submitting this form you agree to pv magazine using your data for the purposes of publishing your comment.

Your personal data will only be disclosed or otherwise transmitted to third parties for the purposes of spam filtering or if this is necessary for technical maintenance of the website. Any other transfer to third parties will not take place unless this is justified on the basis of applicable data protection regulations or if pv magazine is legally obliged to do so.

You may revoke this consent at any time with effect for the future, in which case your personal data will be deleted immediately. Otherwise, your data will be deleted if pv magazine has processed your request or the purpose of data storage is fulfilled.

Further information on data privacy can be found in our Data Protection Policy.