New Hampshire House passes bill to increase net metering cap to 100 MW


With so many stories about utility attacks on net metering, it is easy to overlook legislative progress in many states. Last week, the House of Representatives in the U.S. state of New Hampshire passed a bill to increase the state’s cap on net metering to 100 MW of capacity, to be split among the service areas of the state’s utilities.

The House bill would set aside 80% of the capacity in each utility service area for PV systems smaller than 100 kW. Systems 100 kW to 1 MW in capacity would be eligible for the remaining 20%.

This follows on the passage of a bill in the New Hampshire Senate to raise the cap to 75 MW in February. The two bills will now have to be reconciled before a proposal can be sent to Governor Maggie Hassan, who has expressed support for lifting the caps.

“Lifting the cap on net metering is essential to the continued success of New Hampshire’s solar industry, and I applaud the House for its bipartisan vote to pass this critical measure,” stated Governor Hassan. “The Senate has already supported this legislation, and I urge them to concur with the version passed by the House and send this bill to my desk as quickly as possible so that we can lift the cap on net metering.”

The state-wide cap is currently set at 50 MW. The cap was reached in the service area of utility Eversource in January, and local solar installer SunRay Solar has stated that it was forced to lay off employees as a result.

New Hampshire is not among the larger solar markets in the United States. The state is home to only 1.3 million persons, and has not deployed solar as aggressively as the neighboring states of Vermont and Massachusetts.

However, its recent legislative progress is in contrast to Massachusetts, where multiple legislative attempts to raise the caps have floundered. However, earlier this week a letter signed by 100 members of the Massachusetts House calling for a bill to increase the caps without dismantling net metering was sent to House leadership.

This content is protected by copyright and may not be reused. If you want to cooperate with us and would like to reuse some of our content, please contact:

Popular content


Related content

Elsewhere on pv magazine...

Leave a Reply

Please be mindful of our community standards.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By submitting this form you agree to pv magazine using your data for the purposes of publishing your comment.

Your personal data will only be disclosed or otherwise transmitted to third parties for the purposes of spam filtering or if this is necessary for technical maintenance of the website. Any other transfer to third parties will not take place unless this is justified on the basis of applicable data protection regulations or if pv magazine is legally obliged to do so.

You may revoke this consent at any time with effect for the future, in which case your personal data will be deleted immediately. Otherwise, your data will be deleted if pv magazine has processed your request or the purpose of data storage is fulfilled.

Further information on data privacy can be found in our Data Protection Policy.