The Maltese Ministry for Energy and Conservation of Water has launched a new incentive scheme for PV projects larger than 1 MW. The scheme is part of the revised National Action Plan for renewable energy that the Maltese government published earlier this year.
Over the next three years, the ministry is planning to bring another 50 MW of PV capacity online.
The scheme will be implemented through three tenders, the first of which was already made public this week. In this tender, the government has put 15 MW of solar capacity up for bids. Future allocations are planned for 2018.
“The Government is sure that the private sector will recognize this opportunity for investment and that together with the Government’s scheme, we will continue increasing our share of renewable energy, ensuring a cleaner and more sustainable environment,” said Konrad Mizzi, the Minister for Energy and Conservation of Water.
Developers that would be interested in investing into the scheme are invited to attend an information session which will be held on Nov. 20, at the Ministry for Energy and Conservation of Water.
Malta introduced an FIT scheme for PV projects with a capacity of up to 1 MW in September 2015. In May 2016, the Maltese government announced that the FIT scheme was oversubscribed, and that no more applications were being accepted.
According to the latest official statistics released by the Maltese government, the country had 75 MW of installed PV power at the end of 2015. In its press release on the new tender, however, Mizzi said that PV systems currently connected to the grid in the island have reached around 100 MW.
Malta aims to have 190 MW of installed PV capacity by 2020, which is around 4.7% of of the 10% national renewable energy target.
This content is protected by copyright and may not be reused. If you want to cooperate with us and would like to reuse some of our content, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.