Germany’s cabinet approves FIT plan29. February 2012 | Applications & Installations, Global PV markets, Industry & Suppliers, Markets & Trends | By: Becky Stuart
A week after the country’s new feed-in tariff (FITs) scheme was unveiled, Germany’s Cabinet has today approved the proposal, meaning it will now be sent to the Parliament for consideration.
With demonstrations continuing around the country over the new FIT scheme, devised by Germany’s Ministers of Environment and Economics, Norbert Röttgen (CDU) and Philipp Rösler, the first hurdle to their implementation has been cleared by the Cabinet. The plans must now be sent to parliament to be debated, before they can be passed into law.
Speaking to pv magazine last week, Henning Wicht said he believed there was a 20 percent chance that changes could still be implemented. Specifically, he thinks that the cuts will not be as harsh, and that the clause where Röttgen can make tariff changes without prior consultation will be scrapped.
In what will come as a relief to the industry, it seems that the March 9 deadline will be extended. It is not clear by how much, however.
Overview of the proposed FIT changes:
- A one-off cut will be applied to all photovoltaic systems. The original deadline was March 9, however as aforementioned, it seems likely this will be extended;
- Monthly FIT reductions of €0.15 per kilowatt hour will begin in May;
- The maximum size of a plant eligible to receive a photovoltaic FIT has been capped at 10 megawatts;
- Just 85 to 90 percent of solar energy produced will receive support; and
- Röttgen wants the power to make further tariff changes without prior consultation.
Choose between a digital and print subscription from pv magazine publisher Solarpraxis AG’s online shop!
- 2083 views
- 1990 views
- 1861 views
- 1765 views
- 1502 views
Opinion & analysis
Why do so many believe MENA is the next big solar market?, asks Yassir Gamil, managing director of Solarpraxis' new MENA office
Want to publish your press releases for free? Simply log in or register, enter the information you want to appear and we'll publish it for you!