Italy: PV generation rose 11% in February


Italy’s total electricity consumption in February fell by 8.1% compared to the same period last year, equaling 25.7 billion kWh, according to the latest figures by Italian transmission grid operator, Terna. 83.2% of demand was met with national resources, while the remaining 16.8% was imported.

While net national production – 21.6 billion kWh – fell 14.7% year-on-year, renewable energy production increased, with wind power growing 19.1% and photovoltaic power 11.2%.

Overall, says Terna, electricity demand fell by 5% in January and February 2013, compared to the first two months of 2012. Last year, photovoltaics accounted for 5.6% of Italy’s total electricity demand.

According to the latest figures from the European Photovoltaic Industry Association, with 3.3 GW, Italy went from being the top photovoltaic market in 2011 in terms of newly installed capacity, to the third biggest, behind Germany and China.

Italian Energy Agency, GSE’s latest figures show cumulative capacity to be 16.5 GW, spread across 494,567 photovoltaic systems. Under Italy’s five feed-in tariff schemes, €6.5 billion has been paid out to photovoltaic projects. When the total reaches €6.7 billion, tariffs will no longer be paid.

Popular content

This content is protected by copyright and may not be reused. If you want to cooperate with us and would like to reuse some of our content, please contact:


Related content

Elsewhere on pv magazine...

Leave a Reply

Please be mindful of our community standards.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By submitting this form you agree to pv magazine using your data for the purposes of publishing your comment.

Your personal data will only be disclosed or otherwise transmitted to third parties for the purposes of spam filtering or if this is necessary for technical maintenance of the website. Any other transfer to third parties will not take place unless this is justified on the basis of applicable data protection regulations or if pv magazine is legally obliged to do so.

You may revoke this consent at any time with effect for the future, in which case your personal data will be deleted immediately. Otherwise, your data will be deleted if pv magazine has processed your request or the purpose of data storage is fulfilled.

Further information on data privacy can be found in our Data Protection Policy.