Suntech may sell GSF stake


Suntech has said it could sell its stake in GSF Sicar, reports Reuters. A spokesperson for the Chinese photovoltaic manufacturer reportedly stated, "We intend to operate GSF for the time being and will consider all options to maximize the value for our stakeholders." They added that investors would be updated in the coming months.

According to analysts, the fund carries an enterprise value of up to $800 million, says Reuters. However, even if it did sell its stake, it would not be enough to cover the ailing company’s $2 billion debt pile. "I put a big question mark on whether Suntech can sell off its stake in GSF soon," Glenn Gu of IHS told the news agency. "It will not be a surprise if the stake in GSF is sold at a big discount at the end of the day."

In an investor note issued in March, U.S.-based Maxim Group said, "Though GSF has been held up as a beacon of hope for desperately-needed liquidity, we believe the vast majority of its 141 MW are effectively toxic assets that will be virtually impossible to sell given (a) a number of project LLCs under criminal investigation and associated with the local mafia and (b) reports from our contacts in Italy of many projects half-complete and raided."

At the start of March, Suntech announced it had reached a settlement regarding its fraud dispute with GSF Capital Pte Limited (GSF Capital). A part of the agreement saw its equity interest in the fund increasing from 79.3% to 88.15%. The remaining 11.85% belongs to Best (Regent) Asia Group Ltd., a company said to be ultimately held by Zhengrong Shi, Suntech founder, and former CEO and chairman.

Meanwhile, Wuxi Suntech Power Co. Ltd was forced to file for bankruptcy last month after parent company, Suntech defaulted on a $541 million bond repayment.

Popular content

This content is protected by copyright and may not be reused. If you want to cooperate with us and would like to reuse some of our content, please contact:


Related content

Elsewhere on pv magazine...

Leave a Reply

Please be mindful of our community standards.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By submitting this form you agree to pv magazine using your data for the purposes of publishing your comment.

Your personal data will only be disclosed or otherwise transmitted to third parties for the purposes of spam filtering or if this is necessary for technical maintenance of the website. Any other transfer to third parties will not take place unless this is justified on the basis of applicable data protection regulations or if pv magazine is legally obliged to do so.

You may revoke this consent at any time with effect for the future, in which case your personal data will be deleted immediately. Otherwise, your data will be deleted if pv magazine has processed your request or the purpose of data storage is fulfilled.

Further information on data privacy can be found in our Data Protection Policy.