From pv magazine France
The Tanzanian government, on 11 June, signed a €130 million loan agreement with the French Development Agency (AFD) to finance the construction of the 150 MWp solar power plant in Kishapu.
Located in the Shinyanga region in northern Tanzania, the project will be implemented in two phases, between March 2022 and March 2023.
According to the press release issued by the AFD, the project aims to increase the security of electricity supply and enable Tanzania’s state-owned power utility, the Tanzania Electric Supply Company Ltd (Tanesco), to achieve the objective of diversifying its sources of electricity and energy production with a mix of renewable energies.
It should also reduce dependence on hydropower during peak hours, as well as during the long dry season. The solar power plant will also supply with power, unspecified, adjacent gold mines in the Shinyanga region. The feasibility study for the project had already been supported by AFD, with a grant of €700,000.
Around 57% of Tanesco’s installed power generation capacity comes from 696.3 MW of thermal gas and diesel power plants, with the remaining 43% represented by 561.8 MW of hydropower. The company operates a further 52.2 MW of off-grid diesel plants.
According to the International Renewable Energy Agency, Tanzania had an installed solar power of only 26 MW at the end of 2020. Currently, Tanzania has an access rate to electricity of around 32.7%, with approximately 7.7 million people living without power.
This content is protected by copyright and may not be reused. If you want to cooperate with us and would like to reuse some of our content, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
By no means, solar power Must replace hydropower in Tanzania, I like that and I go together with IRENA’s policies especially some speeches from Francis La Camera, Let you all be blessed🙏
By submitting this form you agree to pv magazine using your data for the purposes of publishing your comment.
Your personal data will only be disclosed or otherwise transmitted to third parties for the purposes of spam filtering or if this is necessary for technical maintenance of the website. Any other transfer to third parties will not take place unless this is justified on the basis of applicable data protection regulations or if pv magazine is legally obliged to do so.
You may revoke this consent at any time with effect for the future, in which case your personal data will be deleted immediately. Otherwise, your data will be deleted if pv magazine has processed your request or the purpose of data storage is fulfilled.
Further information on data privacy can be found in our Data Protection Policy.