Under New Generation Power Michigan, LLC, which is the prime contractor, a team of U.S. companies is bidding on the projects, as part of Detroit Edison Companys Request for Proposal (RFP) to purchase Michigan-based renewable energy credits, which will reportedly help the utility meet state requirements for providing electricity generated from renewable resources.
In total, the projects are estimated to cost between USD$650 million and USD$700 million. They are located in and around Albion, Michigan, and are expected to generate enough electricity to power over 28,500 homes.
In terms of job creation, New Generation Power Michigan believes that around 500 jobs will either be saved or created in the Albion market alone. It adds that there will be potential to create "thousands" of other jobs across the country. "( ) we locked up the funding," states Michael Pontarelli, senior vice president of Environmental Development and "well break ground this fall and put hundreds of Michigan construction workers back on the job."
The New Generation Power Michigan Team comprises:
- New Generation Power – the prime contractor and manager of the renewable energy systems
- Patriot Solar – to provide Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) and racking materials for PV projects
- Martifer Solar USA – to provide EPC for PV projects
- Starr Commonwealth to provide land to build solar and wind facilities
- Wanxiang America to provide Made in USA PV panels
- Solar Street Lights USA to provide solar engineering
- Anderson Environmental & Engineering to provide environmental permitting and assessments
- Windemuller Electric – to provide EPC for wind generation projects
"We are excited to have such an extraordinary team," comments Chirinjeev Kathuria, president of New Generation Power. "Our team recognizes the initiative launched by DTE Energy and Detroit Edison to expand the renewable energy space in Michigan, and we will provide cutting-edge, world-class photovoltaic solar power and wind generation systems to Detroit Edison and their customers."
In a statement, it was said that a portion of the projects profits will go Starr Commonwealth, in order to enhance their mission of providing positive environments for at-risk youth.
New Generation Power is also currently building an up to 62 MW Rockford Solar Project, said to be the largest PV development in the Midwest and one of the biggest in the U.S.