Etrion connects first phase of Japan's 9.3 MW Mito Solar project


Swiss solar company Etrion has connected the first site of the 9.3 MW Mito Solar project in Japan’s Ibaraki Prefecture.

The first Mito site is a 2.7 MW utility-scale installation, and the first of five that will make up the Mito Project, which will cover 28.3 hectares of land and produce around 10.5 million kWh of solar electricity per year.

Etrion owns 87% of the Mito project, with the remaining 13% in the hands of Hitachi High-Technologies Corporation, which is a subsidiary of electronics giant Hitachi.

The Mito Project is using polycrystalline PV modules produced by Canadian Solar, and will be installed on fixed tilt technology and operated with Hitachi inverters.

Power generated by the 9.3 MW solar park will be sold to the Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) under a 20-year power purchase agreement (PPA), under with the project will receive 40 yen/kWh ($0.32 cents/kWh) of electricity produced under Japan’s feed-in tariff (FIT).

Etrion will oversee all operations and maintenance requirements for the plant over the course of its lifetime.

"We completed the first site of the 9.3 MW Mito solar project on schedule and on budget thanks to the hard work of our superb local team, our partner Hitachi High-Tech, and the local utility, TEPCO," said Etrion’s CEO Marco A. Northland.

"We are on track to have all five sites of the Mito Project connected by the end of August. In parallel, we look forward to advancing our Japanese development pipeline in the months ahead."

Etrion is also working with Hitachi High-Tech on the 24.7 MW Shizukuishi power plant, which is expected to be connected to the Japanese grid by July 2016. Once finalized, Etrion will have added 34 MW of solar PV capacity to Japan in the space of 18 months.

Funding for the Japanese projects comes via a $82 million long-term, non-recourse loan from Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank.

Popular content

This content is protected by copyright and may not be reused. If you want to cooperate with us and would like to reuse some of our content, please contact:


Related content

Elsewhere on pv magazine...

Leave a Reply

Please be mindful of our community standards.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By submitting this form you agree to pv magazine using your data for the purposes of publishing your comment.

Your personal data will only be disclosed or otherwise transmitted to third parties for the purposes of spam filtering or if this is necessary for technical maintenance of the website. Any other transfer to third parties will not take place unless this is justified on the basis of applicable data protection regulations or if pv magazine is legally obliged to do so.

You may revoke this consent at any time with effect for the future, in which case your personal data will be deleted immediately. Otherwise, your data will be deleted if pv magazine has processed your request or the purpose of data storage is fulfilled.

Further information on data privacy can be found in our Data Protection Policy.