Zambia Electricity Supply Corp. (ZESCO) has launched a tender for the development and construction of 50 MW of PV plants in the Southern, Western, and Luapula provinces of Zambia.
The state-owned utility said the selected developer will own 90% of the facilities, while ZESCO will hold the remaining 10%. It did not provide any additional details about the proposed projects. Interested investors have until Sept. 2 to submit their proposals.
According to the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), Zambia had 96 MW of installed solar power at the end of 2021, with around 95 MW deployed in 2019 alone. The country has been supporting solar through the Scaling Solar program and the Zambian REFiT Strategy, which is an initiative developed with the support of Germany's KfW Development Bank.
The Zambian government aims to deploy 500 MW of solar PV by 2023, in order to ease chronic power shortages. The sub-Saharan country currently relies on 2.8 GW of installed power, with about 85% coming from hydropower. Its access to electricity is about 30%.
This content is protected by copyright and may not be reused. If you want to cooperate with us and would like to reuse some of our content, please contact: email@example.com.
By submitting this form you agree to pv magazine using your data for the purposes of publishing your comment.
Your personal data will only be disclosed or otherwise transmitted to third parties for the purposes of spam filtering or if this is necessary for technical maintenance of the website. Any other transfer to third parties will not take place unless this is justified on the basis of applicable data protection regulations or if pv magazine is legally obliged to do so.
You may revoke this consent at any time with effect for the future, in which case your personal data will be deleted immediately. Otherwise, your data will be deleted if pv magazine has processed your request or the purpose of data storage is fulfilled.
Further information on data privacy can be found in our Data Protection Policy.