Ethiopia’s state-owned power provider, Ethiopian Electric Power (EEP) has announced the pre-qualified bidders of its 250 MW solar tender, which was launched last October.
The company said it has pre-selected 12 of the 28 developers that submitted a bid. Four of the selected bidders are single companies: Saudi energy giant, Acwa Power; Enel Green Power, the renewable energy arm of the Italian power utility, Enel; Norwegian solar developer, Scatec Solar; and Japanese industrial conglomerate, Mitsui.
The remaining eight bidders are all international consortia, formed by:
- France’s Total Eren Consortium and UAE-based Access Power;
- Saudi investment firm and Spanish renewable energy company Acciona;
- South Africa-based Mulilo and U.K. investor Actis;
- UAE-based investment company Alnoway, U.K. bank Aldwych, and Spain’s Alten;
- France’s energy giant EDF and UAE solar developer Masdar;
- Spain’s solar developer Fotowatio, U.K. IPP Globeleq, and Belayab Consortium;
- Korean power utility Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO) and KoSPCo;
- Moroccan holding Nareva and Indian industrial group Adani;
All of the developers, the EEP said in its statement, will now receive a formal invite to access the project’s data room. The tender’s second stage will involve a Request for Proposal from the pre-qualified bidders.
Through the tender, the Ethiopian utility intends to construct two PV power plants with a capacity of 125 MW each. Both projects are part of a 500 MW of solar plan, which will be developed via the country's Scaling Solar program.
At 86%, Ethiopia’s power demand is primarily covered by hydropower, while thermal power plants and renewables account for 6% and 8%, respectively. Currently, a total generation capacity of only 2.3 GW is serving around 95 million people, according to a recent report from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
This content is protected by copyright and may not be reused. If you want to cooperate with us and would like to reuse some of our content, please contact: email@example.com.