Morocco: ACWA selected for Ouarzazate


The consortium comprising the Saudi Arabian water and power company ACWA, Aries Ingeniería y Sistemas and TSK Electrónica y Electricidad has been named as preferred bidder for the billion dollar concentrating solar power (CSP) plant. This 160 MW project is the first step of the planned 500 MW Ouarzazate solar park that is set to use various solar technologies to generate electricity.

The tenders submitted were assessed on technical and financial points. The consortium with ACWA had met all the criteria set forth by MASEN and bid to produce electricity from the plant at 1.6187 Moroccan Dirham or US$0.1879 per kilowatt-hour. This was the best bid. Abeinsa ICI, Abengoa Solar and Mitsui bid 2.0575 dirhams/kWh ($0.2389/kWh), and Abu Dhabi National Energy Co. Enel, ACS SCE bid 2.0572 dirhams/kWh ($0.2388/kWh). ACWA will control 95%, while the other two partners hold 5%.

The consortium will design, finance, construct, operate and maintain the plant at an estimated $1 billion. The companies are planning on beginning work on the plant by the end of this year and foresee completion near the end of 2014.

Popular content

This content is protected by copyright and may not be reused. If you want to cooperate with us and would like to reuse some of our content, please contact:


Related content

Elsewhere on pv magazine...

Leave a Reply

Please be mindful of our community standards.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By submitting this form you agree to pv magazine using your data for the purposes of publishing your comment.

Your personal data will only be disclosed or otherwise transmitted to third parties for the purposes of spam filtering or if this is necessary for technical maintenance of the website. Any other transfer to third parties will not take place unless this is justified on the basis of applicable data protection regulations or if pv magazine is legally obliged to do so.

You may revoke this consent at any time with effect for the future, in which case your personal data will be deleted immediately. Otherwise, your data will be deleted if pv magazine has processed your request or the purpose of data storage is fulfilled.

Further information on data privacy can be found in our Data Protection Policy.