Canadian Solar and GCL-Poly announce joint venture in China


Canadian-Chinese solar company Canadian Solar has announced today plans to collaborate with polysilicon and wafer giant GCL-Poly on the construction of a crystalline silicon solar cell manufacturing facility.

The factory will be located in Funing, Jiangsu Province, China, and will be the first project the two solar heavyweights have collaborated on, with Canadian Solar owning 80% and GCL-Poly the remaining 20%.

The first phase of the facility will have an annual production capacity of 300 MW, and Canadian Solar hopes to achieve multi-crystalline cell conversion efficiencies of 19% at the plant by the end of the year. Once fully built, the new site will be able to produce 1.2 GW of solar cells annually. However, Canadian Solar will not make a final decision on building out the plant's full capacity potential until future market conditions are fully assessed.

In the first instance, the fab will have a 60 MW production capacity, while completion of the first 300 MW phase will increase the company's annual cell manufacturing capacity to 1.56 GW.

"We are delighted to enter this joint venture agreement with GCL-Poly, the world's largest wafer producer, on this solar cell factory in China," said Canadian Solar chairman and CEO, Shawn Qu. "We believe we are at the very early stages of solar energy adoption around the world, and we continue to see solid market demand for our products."

GCL-Poly chairman Gongshan Zhu added that by leveraging the competitive advantages of both companies, the overall goal to manufacture top quality solar cells at industry-leading costs structures was made more achievable.

This content is protected by copyright and may not be reused. If you want to cooperate with us and would like to reuse some of our content, please contact:

Popular content

Germany’s balcony PV installations hit 200 MW in H1

19 July 2024 Germany's Federal Network Agency (Bundesnetzagentur) says 220,000 balcony PV systems were installed in the country in the first half of the year, reac...


Leave a Reply

Please be mindful of our community standards.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By submitting this form you agree to pv magazine using your data for the purposes of publishing your comment.

Your personal data will only be disclosed or otherwise transmitted to third parties for the purposes of spam filtering or if this is necessary for technical maintenance of the website. Any other transfer to third parties will not take place unless this is justified on the basis of applicable data protection regulations or if pv magazine is legally obliged to do so.

You may revoke this consent at any time with effect for the future, in which case your personal data will be deleted immediately. Otherwise, your data will be deleted if pv magazine has processed your request or the purpose of data storage is fulfilled.

Further information on data privacy can be found in our Data Protection Policy.