Together with Enertrag and Leclanché, Enel intends to realize a large-scale storage project in Germany.
The German subsidiary of the Italian energy group, Enel Green Power Germany, has signed an agreement with the wind turbine manufacturer Enertrag and the Swiss storage supplier Leclanché for the the construction and operation of a 22 MW lithium-ion storage system in Cremzow, Brandenburg, eastern Germany. The project’s investment is estimated at around €17 million.
The large storage system will be initially used to provide grid services in the primary control energy market, according to Enel. At a later stage, the system will be connected to the wind farms of Enertrag. The first two megawatts of the large storage facility should be operational by April. The complete system is expected to be completed by the end of the year.
“The project in Cremzow is an important milestone for us, as we can continue to show the added value of storage for the energy system after successful projects in Italy and Chile, especially in combination with renewables,” said Antonio Cammisecra, head of Worldwide Renewables Division at Enel.
Enertrag supervisory board boss, Jörg Müller stressed the importance of the project for an exit from the brown coal in Brandenburg. Large storage facilities are essential for the next phase of the energy transition. “As a next step, the storage system in Cremzow will prove that it has black start capabilities for Enertrag's regional renewable power plants in the Uckermark,” continued Müller.
The storage system is owned by a special purpose vehicle (SPV), in which the German Enel subsidiary holds a 90% stake, while Enertrag owns the remaining 10%. Leclanché will act as EPC contractor and will be responsible for integrating the battery systems and energy management software.
The primary power market in Germany is now highly competitive. More and more large storage facilities are being built for the provision of network services.
This content is protected by copyright and may not be reused. If you want to cooperate with us and would like to reuse some of our content, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
By submitting this form you agree to pv magazine using your data for the purposes of publishing your comment.
Your personal data will only be disclosed or otherwise transmitted to third parties for the purposes of spam filtering or if this is necessary for technical maintenance of the website. Any other transfer to third parties will not take place unless this is justified on the basis of applicable data protection regulations or if pv magazine is legally obliged to do so.
You may revoke this consent at any time with effect for the future, in which case your personal data will be deleted immediately. Otherwise, your data will be deleted if pv magazine has processed your request or the purpose of data storage is fulfilled.
Further information on data privacy can be found in our Data Protection Policy.