Solargiga building 40 MW solar park in Ghana

Share

Chinese energy company Solargiga has partnered with Ghana’s Savannah Accelerated Development Authority (SADA) to construct a 40 MW solar PV plant in the country’s Savalugu/Nanton Municipality.

Under the auspices of Solargiga’s 70%-owned subsidiary DCH-Solargiga of Germany, the company will own 90% of the public private partnership, with SADA in control of the remaining 10%. The project will cost an estimated $117 million, and construction has already begun. Once finished, the 40 MW plant will be connected to Ghana’s electricity grid with the intention of accelerating SADA’s development of the country’s ecological areas.

"SADA began talks with SCH Energy of Germany in 2011, which culminated in the signing of a memorandum of understanding (MoU) in August 2012," said Mustapha Ahmed, minister of state in charge of development authorities for Ghana. The MoU established the guidelines for collaboration, but development stalled until Solargiga’s involvement at the end of 2013.

The joint venture will enlist the labour of local people, creating more than 600 jobs, the minister said, adding that the University for Development Studies (UDS) will also work closely with SADA and Solargiga during the plant’s initial stages, eventually establishing a new faculty of Alternative Energy and Environmental Protection for transfer of knowledge and skills.

DCH Solargiga CEO Zhang Gang said that the company has worked closely with Ghanaian president John Dramani Mahama to help bring solar projects to the northern regions of the country, including a number of off-grid solar installations at rural schools, hospitals and homes.

Ghana has been relatively progressive with its PV aims in recent months, driven largely by foreign companies striking deals with local organizations and firms keen on developing the nation’s renewable energy footprint. There are currently a handful of utility scale PV projects under construction in the country, including a 155 MW park owned by the U.K.’s Mere Power.

Popular content

This content is protected by copyright and may not be reused. If you want to cooperate with us and would like to reuse some of our content, please contact: editors@pv-magazine.com.

Share

Related content

Elsewhere on pv magazine...

Leave a Reply

Please be mindful of our community standards.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By submitting this form you agree to pv magazine using your data for the purposes of publishing your comment.

Your personal data will only be disclosed or otherwise transmitted to third parties for the purposes of spam filtering or if this is necessary for technical maintenance of the website. Any other transfer to third parties will not take place unless this is justified on the basis of applicable data protection regulations or if pv magazine is legally obliged to do so.

You may revoke this consent at any time with effect for the future, in which case your personal data will be deleted immediately. Otherwise, your data will be deleted if pv magazine has processed your request or the purpose of data storage is fulfilled.

Further information on data privacy can be found in our Data Protection Policy.