Croatia’s Rimac Technology has announced its entry into the stationary energy storage systems (ESS) market with a new brand, Rimac Energy. Mass manufacturing is expected to start in 2025, with manufacturing capacities scaling up into the double-digit GWh-scale.
Leveraging its group’s expertise in EV technology, Rimac Energy has developed a novel battery architecture that is said to reduce efficiency losses by up to 50% while decreasing the system footprint by up to 40% compared to current state-of-the-art solutions.
According to the manufacturer, additional technological benefits of its new stationary ESS solution include improved cycle life, built-in redundancy for increased availability, as well as competitive material and installation costs.
“Given our track record in innovative battery technology, we believe we will play a vital role in building Europe's future energy ecosystems, elevating it on the global stage,” said Rimac Energy's Director Wasim Sarwar.
The Rimac Energy team has been built within Rimac Technology and under the roof of the Rimac Group over the last 18 months and now consists of 60 employees, who are presently working on its first generation of stationary ESS.
Initially, Rimac Energy will provide solutions for large commercial, industrial, and utility-scale applications, with battery-buffered solutions for fast and MW-scale charging already underway.
According to the company, several customer projects are in discussion, including a pilot with a leading renewable energy company to provide battery storage solutions for their solar and wind power plants. These pilot systems are expected to be produced by the end of this year and commissioned in 2024.
“Given our head start in EV technology and dedication to sustainability, this path feels like a seamless progression for us,” said Rimac Group founder and CEO, Mate Rimac, who is often referred to as “Europe’s Elon Musk”.
Headquartered in Sveta Nedelja, near Croatia’s capital Zagreb, the Rimac Group manufactures hypercars and develops high-performance electrification, including batteries and power trains, and software solutions for some of the world’s largest OEMs, including Mercedes, Jaguar, Renault, and Hyundai, among others.
The company was founded in 2009 and grew out of Rimac’s garage hobby. Its stated mission was to build the world's first electric sports car at the time when high-performance EV components were not available on the market. The company developed the necessary parts in-house and patented 24 innovations.
Today, the Rimac Group is a majority shareholder of the luxury carmaker Bugatti Rimac joint venture with a 55% stake, and the remaining 45% owned by Volkswagen’s sports car unit Porsche. The Group is the sole stakeholder of Rimac Technology.
This content is protected by copyright and may not be reused. If you want to cooperate with us and would like to reuse some of our content, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sounds extremely promising, but what is ‘current state of the art’ , and who can define this?
By submitting this form you agree to pv magazine using your data for the purposes of publishing your comment.
Your personal data will only be disclosed or otherwise transmitted to third parties for the purposes of spam filtering or if this is necessary for technical maintenance of the website. Any other transfer to third parties will not take place unless this is justified on the basis of applicable data protection regulations or if pv magazine is legally obliged to do so.
You may revoke this consent at any time with effect for the future, in which case your personal data will be deleted immediately. Otherwise, your data will be deleted if pv magazine has processed your request or the purpose of data storage is fulfilled.
Further information on data privacy can be found in our Data Protection Policy.